Model history and preview
In this inspecting article we will thoroughly explore new crossover from Peugeot and find out what differs it from Mitsubishi ASX and why Peugeot/Citroen decided to create the clone of 4008 – Citroen C4 Aircross.
What do we know about the Mitsubishi ASX? This car is hardly able to make you fall in love with it or upset much. It`s kinda “neutral”. It`s just doing what was expected of it: looks confident, rides sluggishly, but offers a decent comfort to passengers. For Peugeot emergence of 4008 model in the model range is the same as that for Mitsubishi ASX two years ago – it`s entering to a new market of crossover utility vehicles. For Peugeot it is a question of image, as most of rivals have cars of this class. Herewith the French recognize that they are late with the release of this segment. But Peugeot (as well as in a similar model Citroen C4 Aircross) rightly judged that it is better late than never.
What distinguishes this car from others and what is it for? It is a compact crossover from low-price budget segment and it is designed for Eastern Europe (Ukraine/Russia + CIS countries + maybe some Asian markets) and Frenchmen think clearly when they estimate their chances. Western market is very competetive, especially in CUV class, which can provide maximum of profit to the car make. Peugeot absolutely clearly understands that it is hard to surprise bourgeois Western public with your first “try” so they deside to encounter markets of developing countries and if 4008 will be able to succeed there, you`ll probably see it in your town soon.
And you know, this kid has all chances to break through. First of all, it has a very democratic price, good safety indicators, nice smooth but reliable and collected suspension, overwhelming fuel efficiency, time-tested technologies inside etc. But the overall assessment we`ll make below.
Exterior of absolutely new model from Peugeot may seem to simple and even forthright enogh, but we can`t deny the affords of Fench designers to make 4008 maximally fresh and contemporary and long lasting as well. But the overall result is controversial.
It looks impressively on the road, when you have no enough time to examine it thoroughly from each side. Alloy discs and massive weel arches make the image of the car more aggressive and sportive. But disks are optional, and the whole perception crumbles without them.
Frontal optics with it`s squinted lamps, complicated intricated air intakes gives a slight touch of seriousness to the car, but at the same time big black void with black plastic dash inlay at the very central part of the front can cause some questions. So can little, almost invisible fog lights. But we still can recognize firm corporate French design by the wavy hood lines and diode optics (xenon lamps).
Side and rear views can only amplify equivocal impression from the exterior of Peugeot 4008. On the one hand it has modern design, nice massive bumpers and cool “dent” at the side of cabin which leads an arrow across the doors. But on the other hand we have very disproportionate doors, too many unnecessary lines and detials behind the rear door`s window as if engineers didn`t know how to finish the design. And it also creates an impression that the design lacks of individuality and just trying to emulate foreign lines: too much different styles, features and trends we can find in the design of this car that it canmake an esthete go crazy 🙂
If the front of the car told us about his serious and agrressive character, the rear design is plunging is to into calmness and simplicity of forms. That`s why Peugeot 4008 can remind us Chinese cars: despite modern and intricated design, it looks not as whole picture and lacks harmony in all this conglomeration of features.
But we are finding fault too much. The biggest pros of this car is its functionality and durability. And if you do use it by the direct purpose (offroad trips, hunting etc.) the design is non fundamental in any case. But I can add, before we proceed to next step, 4008 doesn`t lose its appeal in combination of any wheel trims, looks good even in mud, in the most primitive package and coloring, while many other cars are very sensitive to different decorative gimmicks. And this is a big plus for people, who really appreciate comfort above additional stuff, unlike those who evaluate the car just by number of bells and whistles with shit eating grin. We are serious people, aren`t we?
This is where we can experience the pragmatic genius of French developers. It is a really nice cabin with informative ergonomics and minimum of buttons along with maximum capabilities. You`ll probably like fashionable plastic inlays which are the essential attribute of almost every modern car. The leather-wrapped steering whee lwith lugs is enjoyable to hold and informative. It has a lots of different buttons, but almost every functional element you can set without taking your hands off the steering wheel.
Glossy plastic has colorful inclusions and looks fresh, but it is easy to soil and to scratch, be careful. Other plastic details made very solid, don`t make any noise or creak and has minimum joints so it`s unlikely they will become loose with time.
Maybe someone will pay attention to large rotary switches of climate control. Because of their big size they are very comfortable in use.
Comfortable seats with lower body and lumber suppot is soft enough to take a risk of long travelling. It provides more comfort, than a C-class taches and even D-class sedans.
Backseat is also comfortable and soft, but you don`t flop into it as into the pillow – it`s quite elastic not to lose form in long trips and has enough head- and shoulderroom to transport three adult men. But it`s not the top of capacity even among compact crossovers.
- Peugeot 4008 may have a very big range of different modern features and technologies in his package and even in base it has a decent set: for lights, ABS, EBD, ESP, front seats heating, radio with 4 speakers which works decently, two-zoned climate control, cruise control, trip computer, auto-dimming rearview mirror, front and rear armrests, combined (leather-cloth) cabin trimming called TREKKING… Lots of stuff, actually.
- For an extra you can purchase Allure package which includes additionally 18″ alloy wheels (instead of 16″) with slight bigger surface which will increase driving comfort, xenon headlights woth washers, multifunctional 7″ touchscreen LCD-display to manage radio and settings, 6-speaker sound system. Also you`ll be able to have panoramic sunroof for 1000$ extra and start-stop keyless system. Hill start assist is also very useful option in suburban conditions.
Usability & Suitability
- Boot Capacity. It is an Achilles’ heel of this car, as the trunk is only 416 liters of volume and not very convenient in use. Many people are already says the boot is small, but you must keep in mind this is AWD CUV and it has central differential and other functional elements taking away some space. But what is the most pleasant thing: backseat can be folded to create almost ideally smooth surface of 1540 liters trunk of around 180 cm long so you can even sleep here:)
- Gasoline tank. 60l. This is an average tank for crossover, but the range can be up to 1200 km if you consider the diesel engine 1.6 HDI.
- Cabin Space. It is average for CUV cars, through to 267 cm of wheel base it is enough of legroom on the front seat. But as for space to allocate three occupants at back seat, it is enough for three adults of middle frame up to 5`8″ height. Big men find the back seat too congested, especially in long trips. Front seats are very comfortable and have strongly marked lumbar support.
- Suspension. Peugeot was always known for its durable and stiff suspension for B- and C-class cars, nicely handled on the road and predictable. But 4008 is not that case. We think the suspension is a little bit more soft, than it is necessary. In cutting turns we can feel significant rolls and at high speed it can cause you out of the seat. This car is definitely not for racing.
- Clearance. 205 mm what is standard for this class and let you feel comfortable off and in any city-conditions.
- Soundproofing. Good. I liked it while testing. You don`t feel much vibrations and noise even from diesel engine.
- 4008 has a lack in choice of motors but, it has one that can satisfy most of buyers and replace the abundant choice. Old versions (2011-2013) were equipped with Mitsubishi`s gasoline 2-liter volume V4 mostly. It has 150 hp and 197 Newton-meters of torque but in 4-speed automatic transmission: old hydraulic torque converter it was a very slow and noisy at the same time cause the powertrain worked at the top section of revs range and even good soundproofing had`nt any chance to muffle instant roar.
- 1.6 and 1.8 HDI engines are much more funny. First (comes to Eastern Europe mostly) has 115 hp and 240 Nm of torque and can accelerate 4008 0-100 km/h for 11.6 sec. Not well done, but sufferable. 1.8 HDI (preferably for EU, lucky guys!) has 150 hp and 350 Nm. But it doesn`t have a big affect to acceleration (same 11 sec to 100 km/h) but you will feel yourself more comfortable at top speed with enough rorque reserve when overtaking. Also these engines can boast with their nice efficiency: 1.8 HDI “eats” only 6.8 liters in the city and 5.6 liters average which gives us 40 mpg efficiency what is very nice.
- This car can deliver comparatively comfortable handling in the city and off road, where its soft suspension…
Power Ups in Comparing to Previous Generation
- 4008 is the first product in the line. That`s why it is so controversial and surprising in some aspects.
- Unfortunately, EuroNCAP didn`t test this car yet. But Mitsubishi ASX received all 5 stars from this respectable testers and we can guess Peugeot 4008 is not worse in this indicator.
- We weren`t able to measure real braking distance but it`s somewhere between 140 and 150 feet. Braking system is not ideal and works with a considerable delay and has not very predictable effort dosing. But it`s a matter of habit.
- Small trunk.
- Too soft suspension to have a speedy drive.
- New model, so we don`t have enough of information about its real behavior after considerable mileage.
Cost of Service
- French cars, especially Peugeot/Citroen has a very democratic cost of service and a lot of service stations around the globe. Also, the make gives 2 year warranty on the car or 150K km of mileage and additionally 12 years warranty on car`s body. That`s are standard data but we can state Peugeot is trying to deliver best quality and now fights for the customers.
We liked this car. We`ve never tested Mitsubishi ASX, that`s why it is nothing to compare it with, but still it perceives more comfortable and spacious than Kia Sportage for example.
But to complete the overview of this car we can`t avoid to selectively parse a real recalls from lucky owners to see what can avoid you from buying this car.
“The consumption is awful, seat are uncomfortable and the suspension is too hard” – we saw the most negative recall from one of the allegedly Peugeot 4008 owner. But all mentioned critics is doubtful. Big fuel consumption is possible only with gasoline engine and extremely aggressive driving manner with turned on locked differential. In such case motor can burn up to 20 liters per 100 km. But your car will need a repair soon. And bad seats can be explained by driving manner: we already stated that this car is not for sports and it can`t deliver good handling in abrupt turns on high speed.
P. S. the biggest consumption we were able to “gain” equaled 11.7 liters of diesel. But it was an extreme test for car, driving 160-180km/h on the highway. We don`t recommend to repeat such experiment.
Among real direct rivals of Peugeot 4008 we can note mentioned above new Kia Sportage, Nissan Qashqai, Chevrolet Tracker (supposedly), Suzuki Grand Vitara, Toyota RAV4, VW Tiguan and many others. As you can see, there are a lot of different cars in compact crossover class. But will you buy exactly Peugeot 4008.
Why don`t we mention Citroen C4 Aircross as a rival? We don`t think it`s a different car, it`s a Peugeot clone with slightly different exterior and a little bit different package costs. Maybe we`ll speak about it on pages of this site.